Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Jan. 31, 2010 - The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

Following in Gretchen Rubin's footsteps, I am attempting to set some personal goals by beginning my own "Happiness Project". This month I am focussing on increasing my energy levels by concentrating on two goals - getting to bed earlier (which includes not falling asleep on the couch) and exercising regularly.

In the evening, I often stay up too late trying to accomplish any number of household or school-related jobs. At other times, I stay up in order to have some time to myself after my husband and girls have gone to bed. In either case, being too active in the evening doesn't allow me to wind down and get ready for sleep. This week, I am ensuring that I relax well before bed time. Some jobs don't get finished but there is always tomorrow. I have also discovered that if I stay up much past 11:00 p.m., I get my second wind and then can't sleep until after 2:00 p.m. This sets up a vicious cycle of sleep depravity that causes me to be tired all day long.

So far, it has been a week and I am happy to report that for the most part I am accomplishing my goal. Some nights haven't been as early as others and one night I didn't sleep well because I was sick but otherwise I have been successful. I feel much more rested and energetic which has led to even better productivity. There are only 24 hours in each of our days and I know that using more of these hours to sleep has definitely helped make my daily life happier and more productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment