Thursday, February 11, 2010

Feb. 9, 2010 - The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry

As a young student, one of my favourite genres was mystery. I remember devouring stories by Agatha Christie, and series such as Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Trixie Belden, and Enid Blyton's adventure novels (The Castle of Adventure, The Ship of Adventure, etc). But, as an adult, I haven't read a good mystery in a long time. Presently, I lean towards non-fiction and historical fiction as I enjoy learning while reading. However, a good mystery where you can follow along with the characters and attempt to solve the crime before they do always makes for interesting reading.

One author that has been recommended to me by many avid mystery readers is Anne Perry, so I thought I would give The Cater Street Hangman a try. It is the first in the series of Charlotte and Thomas Pitt novels and as such, I considered it to be a good start. On top of this, the Victorian era setting and language was also attractive to me as I have an interest in the time period and have plenty of background knowledge as support. The writing is reminiscent of Jane Austen in some ways.

Although the beginning is tedious, I have high hopes for this novel since the author was so highly recommended. I hope that the rest of the book is engrossing and moves quickly into the mystery to be solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment