Thursday, February 4, 2010

Feb. 2, 2010 - The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

"Bad marriage habits" - the term itself evokes feelings of guilt and remorse. It's easy to fall into a routine of mundane existence without thought for the needs of your spouse, focussing on getting jobs done rather than relationships. And, when kids are involved, the attention shifts entirely to their needs, with little time left to enjoy as a couple. I can't remember the last time my husband and I went out for dinner or to a movie, just the two of us.

At this point, Gretchen's "Week of Extreme Nice" sounds like a great idea as well as an insurmountable challenge. Would I be able to keep this up for an entire week? Could I ignore the irksome habits of my husband for this length of time? Could I stop nagging and pointing out mistakes? I think it is worth a try. Certainly, going to bed earlier has helped me feel less tired and irritated so perhaps this is a good time to attempt this strategy.

Maybe my husband is attempting the "week of extreme nice" even though he isn't reading this book. When I think of all the little things (and sometimes big things) he does for me, it really does make the problems seem insignificant. He sets my coffee for me each night so that it is ready in the morning. He makes my lunch every day. He cooks, which is a huge bonus, and on top of that even does the grocery shopping. This week, he even did laundry because I was so busy that he wanted to make the week easier. Today, he prepared tea and a snack for me to take to the workshop I was teaching after school. He brags about me and praises me when speaking to his mother. There are so many "proofs of love" here that I sometimes take for granted.

Mind you, he may sound like the perfect husband, but I assure you, he does have his faults. In the end, I am very fortunate to have his love, help and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment