Monday, February 15, 2010

Feb. 14, 2010 - Organize Yourself by Ronni Eisenberg with Kate Kelly

I'm taking the time to skim through this book looking for any helpful "gems" before giving up on it altogether. I pride myself on being an extremely organized and detail-oriented person. It's actually part of my job and I'm quite good at it. But, I'm sure even an old dog can be taught new tricks. Are there any here?

The book goes through typical "dump zones" and problem areas in homes. Part Two deals with paperwork from books, to calendars, to the family computer, desk organization, filing systems and mail, with strategies for each area. Although the book tells you how to organize these spaces, it does so in a very impersonal, business-like manner. There are no suggestions as to how to sort, how to avoid collecting these items or how to deal with the underlying reasons for collecting them in the first place. The hint of a suggestion is only made at the very end of the chapter, briefly under other tips - use the library instead of buying more books.

Part Four deals with household matters like closets, the refrigerator, the laundry and the medicine chest. There is even a chapter on hiring household help. Again, the authors go through each of these areas methodically but the human warmth and understanding is missing. As for helpful hints, I didn't notice many, probably because I already know how to organize. What I need is some inspiration not endless lists of things to do and consider before even getting started. For example, the chapter on closets requires you to study the closet, take notes about your needs, measure everything (longest item, width of groups of items, etc.), categorize, adjust shelves, and the list goes on. When will you have time to get down to work and actually clear the clutter? Any helpful hints are again at the very end of the chapter under a heading called "general". This time the tip is "a place for everything, and everything in its place". While a good idea, this is exactly what people have difficulty doing and there are no strategies to promote its use.

I've spent enough time looking through this book and have decided to spend my time cleaning and organizing rather than just reading about it. I've read many more engaging books than this one. For assistance with a touch of humanity and inspiration try It's All Too Much by Peter Walsh. It's definitely a book I go back to when I need a little push to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment