Monday, February 15, 2010

Feb. 13, 2010 - Organize Yourself by Ronni Eisenberg with Kate Kelly

Yet another book about organizing. Lately, it seems everyone needs help getting their lives together. Perhaps, if we weren't so busy, if we didn't take on so many commitments, if we didn't put our children in every available activity to get them ahead of their peers, we would have time to take care of our household messes. I've noticed with my teenagers that when they are too busy and spend little time at home, their rooms are a disaster. Their is only time to dump and go. When we get some time off and actually use it to stay home, they have no problem keeping their rooms clean.

The first chapter in this book about organizing is on procrastination which I found ironic as I was reading it. Reading a chapter about procrastinating in a book about organizing while your house is still a mess, piles of unclaimed papers and junk, lying in heaps, doesn't make sense. I think we should forget about reading and discussing organization and take action instead. Certainly, it is a good idea to have some strategies in mind and I'm sure this book will suggest many. But in the long run, doing the job takes an effort and commitment which cannot be provided by a book. Some of the best organizing books will indeed give us inspiration to get started but the initiative must come from the individual.

I will definitely skim through some of the strategies here and note helpful suggestions but taking the time to read a 300 page book on the topic when there is work to be done will not help me take charge of my clutter. Time to stop reading and take action.

No comments:

Post a Comment