Monday, February 15, 2010

Feb. 11, 2010 - The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

Leisure time often seems like a luxury we cannot afford. It's challenging enough meeting work and family commitments let alone having time to have fun. But, taking the time for activities that give us pleasure is extremely important for our well-being and our happiness.

Although it is obvious that not everyone considers the same activities fun, the author points out that sometimes we sacrifice our personal enjoyment for others or because we feel that there are certain activities that we should experience. Going to an opera may sound like a good idea but if it is not an interest for you, it will not bring you happiness. The idea of only partaking in pastimes that hold great personal interest is a revelation. I sometimes have difficulty with this idea because I feel a certain commitment to pleasing my family and friends, rather than focussing on myself. The author's advice is to "Be yourself."

I guess it's part of being a parent to sacrifice for our children. But, I think it's also important for our children to see us pursuing our own interests. For me, that involves music. Despite having a busy schedule, I take the time each week to practise my violin in preparation for my weekly orchestra rehearsal. Because I love playing, I also accept "gigs" when they come along and go to as many concerts as I can afford. I imagine that when I retire, I will become a full-time musician, something I've always wanted to do. The happiness and fulfillment I get from pursuing my passion for music is unmatchable, just like the beautiful arias of Mozart, Verdi, Bizet and Puccini.

No comments:

Post a Comment