Monday, March 8, 2010

Mar. 7, 2010 - Simple Abundance, A Daybook of Comfort and Joy, by Sarah Ban Breathnach

"A little of what you fancy does you good." - Marie Lloyd

I discovered this book just before last Christmas and was so delighted with it that I gave it as a gift to some of my closest friends. It contains an entry for each day of the year, beginning with an inspirational quote and a corresponding anecdote or text. Each day's reading is fairly short so it is not overwhelming to devote a few minutes to start the day off with some inspiration.

The title of today's reading is "Outfitting a Comfort Drawer". This is defined as a drawer or other similar area, perhaps in a dresser or closet, that is filled with indulgences or favourite items to help you relax or bring you peace. The advice is to line the drawer with fancy paper, add something scented and fill it with all the things that you love so that when you are stressed it is a haven that you can turn to.

Interestingly, I recently made a "comfort" list of all the things I love that I cannot do without - my favourite teas, Bigelow fruit and almond and perfect peach; my favourite violin and orchestral music; Rhéo Thompson mint chocolate smoothies; potato chips; cinnamon hearts; Estée Lauder Beautiful body lotion; sci-fi videos like Star Trek and Stargate; and a multitude of books by my favourite authors.

A cup of tea, a mint chocolate, some music and a good book sound appealing now that I think about it. Before the day ends, devote some time to indulge in your favourite comfort items. It will bring you peace and help you unwind after a difficult or busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment