Saturday, March 6, 2010

Mar. 5, 2010 - The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

"The least strained and the most natural ways of the soul are the most beautiful; the best occupations are the least forced." - Michel de Montaigne For some of us, identifying our passion is simple and straightforward, for others it is an overwhelming concept. Too often, we feel that it must be some lofty goal requiring tremendous soul-searching to uncover. Instead, if we consider what we spend much of our free time doing, discovering our passion is obvious.

I can relate to Gretchen's passion for books, reading and writing. I too love libraries and bookstores. Spending time each day reading, whether it be a novel, a magazine article or something on the internet, makes me happy. I can't imagine not reading during my day. Fortunately, my profession ensures that I have to read, for example when I mark student assignments or read about new curriculum policies or methods of teaching. It is interesting how often a person's passion matches a facet of their chosen profession.

My other passion is music. I started playing the violin in an elementary school program and was immediately enthralled. I didn't need any encouragement or reminders - I wanted to practise all the time. My parents relegated me to the basement for some peace and quiet. It wasn't long before I joined the orchestra at school, then a community orchestra as my playing improved. I played in music festivals, at recitals and concerts, in musicals, wherever and whenever I had a chance. Not only did I enjoy playing, I also enjoyed going to concerts. I remember seeing Itzhak Perlman as a high school student and being in awe of his performance and his amazing sound. It is not much different now that my children are grown. I find myself still pursuing my passion for music, listening to classical music above all other types, attending concerts frequently, playing in a variety of musical groups and supporting my children who also play the violin. Every year, I am so excited to read about new musical seasons at the symphony or the opera or the theatre. I think my ideal job would be that of orchestral musician, practising hours each day, performing in the evening and attending concerts in my spare time. In fact, I plan to pursue this in some form when I retire from teaching full time.

So, think about what you like to do. Chances are it is something you enjoyed doing even as a child. What do you gravitate to over and over again when you have spare time? What do you enjoy doing with your children? You won't have to look too far to discover what your passion is and pursuing it will bring you a lifetime of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment