Sunday, March 14, 2010

Mar. 10, 2010 - Enough Already by Peter Walsh

The more I read these self-help books, the more I realize that I may be experiencing what one would call a "mid-life" crisis. Why do I need so much advice at this point in my life? Considering the titles of recent readings - It's All Too Much, The Happiness Project, How to Stop Worrying and Start Living and now Enough Already - I have to wonder what the attraction is. Is the fact that I am in my 40's causing me to question whether I am getting all I want out of life or if there is perhaps a little more?

Certainly, the stress of the last 20 years has contributed to this. After years of juggling work, family and children, I do wonder if there isn't a better way, a more peaceful existence out there rather than one of constant pressures both self-imposed and environmental.

Work is an area that poses much of this stress. The second chapter of Enough Already deals with the issue of work and how we can find a balance in our lives. Walsh points out that "work is not life, and you should not get sucked into the clutter of work or let the clutter of your work overrun your life." Great in theory, but how can one accomplish this amazing feat? Walsh begins with a survey which gets right to the heart of the problem. Despite the fact that I am fairly happy with my career, it really made me think about some key areas that need decluttering.

Walsh proceeds to work through the problem areas offering advice, suggesting ideas, activities and challenges to help you begin to make some positive changes. Prioritizing your day, living in the present, facing fears, and celebrating success are just a few of the topics covered. Walsh does warn the reader that work is the area that will be the most difficult to change. It will require time, commitment and discipline before any improvements will be noticed. But since we spend so much time at work, it is worth beginning the process. For me, there is no time like the present to take action and I look forward to reading Walsh's suggestions in more depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment