Saturday, October 31, 2009

Oct. 30, 2009 - The Rise of the Creative Class

I just started reading this book last night in my hotel room.  It was recommended at a computer conference I went to last year.

I have only read a couple of chapters so far, but I am already interested. It begins by talking about how things have changed since the early 1900's using the analogy of a time traveller. What differences or changes would someone from 1900 or 1950 discover in our modern world? Which traveller would be most shocked by the way our world operates now?

One might think that the traveller from 1900 would be most out of place. Surprisingly, the author did not think that would be the case. Certainly, there have been many inventions in the 20th century but these inventions haven't really changed that much. Think about TV, cars, the telephone...still all around although they've certainly developed. What has changed the most are people's values and attitudes and this has happened in today's society.

I'm excited to read more and to find out about the "creative class" that the author believes exists in our world today and how that is changing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment