Sunday, October 18, 2009

Oct. 18, 2009 - An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon

As a fan of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books, I couldn't wait for the release of her newest addition to the series. I picked it up the day it came out and couldn't wait to get started.

Diana's books are full of detail so even as a fast reader, it takes me some time to get through them. My problem is that once I start a good book, I have a hard time putting it down. I'll often stay up well past midnight because I must know how it turns out. I've always had that problem. So, in order to save myself from being too tired to teach the next day, I sped read through the entire ending. I know what you're thinking - that's terrible. But I know myself as reader and I know I will still thoroughly enjoy the book and will complete it no matter what.

In a way, it's the best thing for me because now I can take my time reading the rest of the book. There are so many historical details to put into perspective and a lot of characters to remember from Claire and Jaime's past. I need to actually go back and read all of the books again in order to really understand everything that is happening.

I am currently halfway through the book (just finished Chpt. 35, June 12, 1777, Fort Ticonderoga) where Claire and her nephew Ian are having an interesting discussion about genetics.

Having read the ending, I will not spoil it for other readers. I will say that it left me frustrated with the turn of events. There will definitely be other books in this series. It's not over yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment