Sunday, October 18, 2009

Oct. 19, 2009 - Slow Death By Rubber Duck by Rick Smith and Bruce Lourie

This book has an odd title but I think it will be an interesting read. The subtitle gives an overview about the topic - How the Toxic Chemistry of Everyday Life Affects Our Health. More and more people are in poor health, physically, emotionally and mentally. Obesity, cancer, heart disease and many other illnesses are taking their toll on our population, young and old alike. I wonder if our environment plays a factor in this?

I am barely a few pages in and am already learning about things to avoid. For example, the inside of microwave popcorn bags are coated with chemicals that are toxic. That was a shocking discovery that made me realize I need to find an alternate way of enjoying popcorn - the good old-fashioned way of popping it on the stove. It will probably taste better anyways, you can control the salt content and I'm sure it's much cheaper in the long run.

Over the summer, I completed two other books with health and nutrition topics - Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser and Food Inc. - How Industrial Food is Making us Fatter, Sicker and Poorer. After reading these two books, I will never feel the same about eating at fast food restaurants. I am fortunate to enjoy excellent homemade meals, my husband being a fabulous chef. We rarely eat out anyways, which is a good thing based on the information in these books. I think the prepared and frozen foods such as those described are highly related to the topic of toxic chemistry.

I'll blog about further discoveries as I continue reading Slow Death by Rubber Duck.

1 comment:

  1. I like the title.....sometimes a clever title can really make a book....though you do need good content as well I suppose.

    ReplyDelete